Thursday, March 17, 2016

Sail Day Reflections


March 18, 2016

Sail Day!!! We’ve just raised anchor and started our 24-hour journey back to Port Moresby! Today there is very little work and lots of time for rest, reflection, sleep and games! On our way out we had a very smooth ride, I can only hope for another one, though it looks pretty choppy right now! I have taken some medicine to help with the possible sea-sickness and will use this time to reflect on this first of two outreaches we’ll be on and the time I’ve had.

Overall I was very impressed with the staff, crew and volunteers on this trip. Even though the Christian emphasis was low-key, there was a definite “ywam” feel to the atmosphere and time. The professional ship crew and the ywam staff have a wonderful working relationship and are very friendly and welcoming to all the volunteers. This outreach had a lot of older people (over 50) on it, but the next outreach will have many more younger people (under 25), so it will be interesting to see if there is a different feel to that trip.

We’ll get back to port on Saturday night and disembark the volunteers on Sunday, then have 5 days before the next set of volunteers arrive. I think it will be a time to clean the ship and restock everything from paper goods to food. I think we’ll try to explore the city as well and maybe do some shopping and try some new foods. On this outreach I brought a few comforts with me, one was my French Press with coffee from home, another was a good-sized chunk of cheese and a few cokes. It was just about right!

I wrote last time about the man who was stabbed and was airlifted to a hospital. He made it through surgery, but died the following day. It was a sad ending to a sad situation. I wanted to let you know. One of the primary health care staff came to talk with me about her feelings of anger that after the miracles surrounding this guy (that we were close when it happened, that a helicopter was coming to the ship anyway, that there was extra fuel, that the hospital’s doctor arrived back from a 2 month trip the same day as this guy arrived, that he survived the surgery) that he died anyway. I think it’s hard to know the “whys” sometimes, but we have to trust in the end.

I had a great time in all the departments I worked in during this outreach. I think the one I had the most fun with was the zodiac crews. It didn’t last long, I only worked an average of 2 hours a day with this group, but the opportunity to make friends among the guys and gals working as deck hands and professional sailing staff was significant. They are a very tight group who don’t accept new people lightly. They are very friendly and knowledgeable, but to open up and share deeper is not common. But I’ve found an avenue for asking deeper questions and having some good conversations.



Here's a look at my galley crew! 


I will miss some of the new friends I’ve made. Their stories are fascinating and the journeys they are on are filled with meaning and questions. As an American I am in the vast minority on this trip, being with so many other cultures reminds me that while there are some significant differences between us, we are all people with basic needs, desires and joys. I will be able to follow some on social media, so that will be fun.

Our next outreach will take us to a completely different part of the nation. I understand the waters will be clear and the area more prosperous than the Bamu region of the Middle Fly River. It should be an interesting change!!

Until next time,
Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment